29/05/2014

Follow Up to "An Open Letter to Mr Gove"

Since my letter to Mr. Gove went live, several things have happened.

Over 40 thousand people have read it, because of it being posted on the Huffington Post here. 
From this, I have had around a 100 people tweet me with such lovely comments and gained 200 followers.

It's been amazing. And I can't thank you all enough.

However, there has been the negative side of it, too.

Mr. Gove posted this article on The Telegraph. So a few people have been all like "oh take it down it's not true". Personally, I find it odd that it was posted after all the outrage, in another newspaper to the original article.

A lot of people are saying that I said he was going to ban TKAMB and OMAM. I never said that; because that wasn't what was going to happen. I said he was going to take them out of the GCSE curriculum, because that is what he said was going to happen.

On being thirteen

I'm a truthful person. I am 13 years old. I have had a lot of comments that say it has been a parent, or anyone, just not a 13 year old. Well, I am. I'm sorry to ruin these illusions, but I am.
     At this very moment, depending on when you read this, I am either at school, listening to music on my bed, reading, doing homework, at Scouts, or doing various other activities that I do.

I know it's hard to believe. Okay, I'm articulate. When I wrote the letter... it didn't come across as that articulate or eloquent to me. It was just me. But okay, yes, I am rather eloquent. Is that the reason it is hard to believe I am 13? I have had a passion for reading and writing since the age of 2 or 3 years of age, and I read about 100 books a year; my vocabularly is large. I go to a grammar school; I took a test to get there, and I was classed as gifted and talented at literacy long ago.

I'm also a debater. I am part of my school debating club and was in a competition with Sixth Formers, as the youngest in the competition, last November. We didn't place; but it was an achievement to be there, for me.

I won't lie. I am 13. And although I do find it a bit funny, and a bit of a compliment, that people don't believe I am 13, I'm too eloquent... eventually it hurts. It does! I wrote this! And I'm not vain, but I'm proud of the piece that I wrote. 

"Huffington Post" comment responses

 "If Charli, aged 13, is real; then Mr. Gove will hold no fears for this articulate young person. She obviously comes from well educated parents; pushing her cause for a future...But I would say you raise many questions...What is your concern; bearing in mind you maybe reading far more than your peer group... I find it strange that a 13 year old should worry about reception classes and what they are taught? Excuse me if I have misread your post; but in my day we did not acknowledge the ones younger than us at all. Question; would I be incorrect in assuming your parents are teachers? One statement before finishing; Mr. Gove is not out to harm the ones achieving, but to push the teachers to better standards..." 

Thank you for your kind comments and questions. My parents are split, though my mum is extremely well educated. My concern? I want everyone to read; to enjoy English; to want to achieve in English. I don't care if I can go to any library and pick out those books; I have the initiative, though many don't. I worry about reception classes because I have siblings, and my friends have siblings, and generally, I believe the reception classes need to be taught culture. Within this letter, it is just an example; I wouldn't suppose Gove would go that far.

Neither my mum, dad or stepfather work in teaching. My mum works in birth and helping women; my father in retail, and my stepfather is a landscaper. Law and politics have been MY passion, since I was 10, particularly in the last year and a half. Reading and writing was just encouraged by my mum.

I don't think Gove is trying to "push the teachers". Taking out books they have been teaching for years and probably know back to front, studied themselves, etc, will only harm their standards.

" Can't anybody see it! The only way for the Conservatives to retake control after last week's shenanigans is to get Michael Gove to say something stupid. Any publicity is good publicity."

This is very possibly true. That doesn't mean I can't be angry though; does it?

"The correct headline should be a 13 year olds dad wrote a letter.Stienbeck ,salinger etc are not necessary you can read tortilla flats etc in your spare time whether you are examined on Jane Austen or mark Twain is irrelevent the fact is the breadth in English lit alone is staggering and these are your heritage" 

That isn't the correct headline because I am 13. I understand I can read them in my own time; but I want to study them. I want to learn, understand their meanings, and what they teach. Also; I wonder why you say "13 year olds dad". Why couldn't it have been a 13 year old's mum? And please, sort out your capital letters.

Many have said it is no longer true. 

At the time I wrote it, it was. I will not be taking it down. At the time, it was true. It could still go ahead. We don't know. It is Mr. Gove, after all.  

I cannot reply to all the comments and tweets I have received, though these responses cover what people wanted to know. I desperately want to respond to the lovely, supportive comments and tweets, but I just don't have that type of time. 

To wrap it up. 

I just want to thank everyone again for the support I have received. It's been amazing and if I could respond to you all I would. 

1 comment:

  1. How nice! Your correspondent never thought of those young than himself in reception classes. Clearly a bigot with self interests only. Plus of course not only were his capitals a little off there are no spaces between his commas and full stops either so clearly nowhere near as well educated to a good English standard as you are, Charli!

    Please do NOT let anybody put you down or put you off your chosen path. In ten years time you will be doing really well and they will hopefully be eating their words.

    Helga

    ReplyDelete

I write these posts for Save UK Justice or just in interest. They are my opinions. Please do not try to argue with me. If you would like to contact me, please email charli-toanotherworld@outlook.com

You can comment "Anonymously" if you don't have a Blogger or Wordpress account, but please leave your name!